picture of the altar of st john fisher

Archbishop Leo Visits Sacre-Coeur Parish

Posted : Jun-19-2024

This content is from another website - Click here to view on original site.
On Sunday, June 9, 2024, the Most Reverend Francis Leo, Metropolitan Archbishop of Toronto visited Sacré-Coeur Parish in downtown Toronto to celebrate Mass and administer the sacrament of Confirmation to 19 young parishioners studying at the École secondaire catholique Saint-Frère-André and Bishop Allen Academy. Dominican friars from the parish and from the priory of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Toronto also took part in the event. 
After Mass, parishioners and students shared cakes and pleasantries in the parish hall.
Sacré-Cœur Parish was founded in 1887 as the first Roman Catholic parish to serve the Francophone community in Toronto. The parish's first church building, located on 438 King Street, was purchased from a Presbyterian congregation in 1888. As the parish continued to progress and the number of faithful increased, it quickly became clear that the church was too small. New land on the corner of Carlton and Sherbourne was later purchased from William Gooderham that eventually became the site of the current church, which was blessed and opened in 1937, and expanded in 1951. 
The church is currently administered by the Dominican Friars of Canada and offers mass in French every Sunday at 10am. It will celebrate its 137th foundation anniversary on June 24, the Solemnity of the nativity of Saint John the Baptist.